RESTAURANT TEAM MEMBER
Gladstone’s Library is a unique international institution - a renowned Library where you can also stay and enjoy great food and warm hospitality. A Grade 1 listed building, with 26 bedrooms, conference rooms, restaurant and a year-round programme of events and courses, this is a fascinating and stimulating place to be.
Our Restaurant is a welcoming place for guests to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner and everything inbetween. It’s one of the reasons why people book to stay at the Library. Some of our guests want to come and eat quietly, while reading and others love to chat and mingle with other guests. Our large tables make dinner, especially, a sociable event and our style of service reflects this.
You will be confident and really enjoy being around people. Our team need to be great listeners and intuitive so that we can quickly assess our guests’ needs. You will be approachable and calm under pressure, full of solutions rather than problems. We’re looking for team players who are happy to ask for and offer help, able to support colleagues and learn together.
Our guests want to feel welcomed by someone who they can trust is going to look after them during their visit. So, you will confidently meet guests on arrival, be knowledgeable and interested in the food and drink you are serving (taste-testing will be required) and ensure our high standards of service are consistently met throughout your service. You will also assist with conferences and events, engage with organisers and be helpful to ensure their delegates are well looked after.
- Experience in a hospitality/customer-focused environment
- You must respect and support the liberal and inclusive values of the Library and reflect these in your everyday performance
- Committed to learning and supportive of your colleagues
- You must want to be part of a purposeful organisation
- Presentable, personable and articulate
- You must be 18 years of age
What we will offer:
Gladstone’s Library is proud to be a Living Wage Foundation employer. We pay the Real Living Wage because we believe that our employees deserve a wage that meets everyday needs. The Real Living Wage is the only wage based on what people need to live.
- A comfortable and stimulating work environment with sociable hours
- The opportunity to be an important part of a unique and growing organisation
- Pension scheme
- 2 weeks off at Christmas (the Library closes for Christmas from the 20th Dec – 3rd Jan)
- Uniform provided
- 21 days annual leave entitlement pro rata
You must be a fluent English speaker, must provide proof of identity, eligibility to work in UK and any relevant qualifications and references.
Hours of work:
20 hours a week contract with overtime available most weeks up to full-time hours. The restaurant is open 7 days a week from 7.30am until 9pm so hours will reflect this.
Rotas will be confirmed a week prior with flexible shift patterns and a fair requests procedure.
Expected start date: Immediate available
Salary: £9.50 per hour + tips