Graduate Work Experience
Gladstone’s Library’s Graduate Work Experience programme is looking to recruit for a period of three months from Monday, 9th September 2019, or as soon after thereof.
This post will suit a recent graduate looking for a career in libraries, archives, and information science, but who has not yet taken the committed step of a postgraduate scheme or traineeship. For more information on the Graduate Work Experience programme click here.
During the programme, the successful candidates will gain experience across the institution:
- In our Reading Rooms, helping the team maintain one of the UK’s finest research collections. Candidates assist with many of the key operational tasks, such as cataloguing and processing items, archive inventory, digitising records, and handling new acquisitions. They also staff our Enquiry Desk, which is the public face of the Reading Rooms and the main point of assistance for our users. Candidates take a leading role delivering Glimpses;
- In our Marketing department, drafting posts for social media, writing press releases, and assisting with the creation and delivery of the Library’s marketing programme;
- Candidates take two evening ‘duty’ shifts (9.15pm – 10.30pm) per week. During this time they welcome new residents and perform a security round.
Our work experience candidates play a vital role in Library life. We are looking for candidates who are:
- Accurate, flexible and committed to excellent customer service;
- Reasonably adept at social media;
- Capable with office programmes such as Excel;
- Happy to work in a small team, and good at managing their own time;
- Unfazed by public speaking;
- Ready and willing to learn.
We are proud to say that many of those who have been with us in these positions go on to positions in libraries and archives, or join prestigious postgraduate schemes. For some accounts of what those on previous placements are up to now, please see here.
Three Graduate Work Experience students share a self-contained flat on the Library’s first floor. All living costs are included in the placement – utilities, Wi Fi, laundry, and food. You will receive expenses of £100 per month.
There is a rota of overnight duty shifts. These include a lock-up (9.15-10.30pm) and the overnight custody of the on-call phone (used only in the event of emergency such as fire). The hour lock-up and any emergency response are contracted at £9.00 per hour.
This is a full-time position on a rolling rota. It includes some evening and weekend working.
The closing date for this position is 9am on Monday, 26th August.
Interviews will be held Sunday, 1st – Monday, 2nd September. This will include an overnight stay.
To apply please send a CV and Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or Elizabeth Newmarch, Gladstone's Library, Church Lane, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3DF.