Gladstone's Library is indebted to the generosity of many benefactors who have endowed its scholarship programme. Applications are invited for scholarships in 2015. They must be received by 1 November 2014.
Scholarships are awarded for any period from a week or two weeks and include:
- The Canon Symonds Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to those studying in the fields of Christian Liturgy, Biblical Studies or Church History
- The Bishop J. R. H. Moorman Scholarship is intended primarily for those researching Francis of Assisi or the Franciscan Order where access to the Moorman Franciscan Library would prove beneficial
- The Revd Dr Murray McGregor Memorial Scholarship is awarded for those working on any aspect of Religious Studies. First consideration will be given to applications from graduates, post-graduate students and members of the academic staff of the University of Edinburgh and thereafter from other Scottish Universities
- The Tom Jarman Scholarship is, in the first instance, for students and graduates of Bristol University, Wesley College Bristol, Bristol Baptist College and students of the Open University
- The Revd Canon Dr Stewart Lawton Memorial Scholarship is awarded for research into one of the following areas: the Liberal Catholic Tradition in Anglicanism; the Interaction of Science and Religion, and European Philosophical Theology
- The Drew Scholarship is awarded, in the first instance, for research into aspects of the life of William Ewart Gladstone
- The Dr Daisy Ronco Scholarship is awarded for research into Nineteenth Century Studies
- The Richard L. Hills Scholarship is awarded for research into Theology and Science/Technology
- The Ernest Walder Memorial Scholarship is awarded for research into any aspect of Divine Learning
- The Gladstone Scholarship is for the support of clergy from the Church in Wales and scholars from Bulgaria
- The General Scholarship Fund supports research in the Arts and Humanities
- The Canon Denys Ruddy Memorial Scholarship is awarded for study in Theology, Liturgy, Spirituality, or Christianity and The Arts
- The Veronica Powles Memorial Scholarship is awarded either to members of the Mother's Union or for study and research into women's ministry and issues
Please note that scholarships only cover use of the Library and the cost of dinner, bed and continental breakfast at Gladstone's Library. They do not cover the cost of travel to and from the Library or any extra charges incurred during your stay eg lunch, drinks, telephone calls. We also ask for a modest non-refundable administration fee (£25) payable on your acceptance of our scholarship offer.
To apply, please write to or email the Warden, Peter Francis at email@example.com, outlining your specific area of research, what you hope to achieve during your residency and why you are undertaking this research eg PhD, Masters, publication, sabbatical project, private study, Open University degree etc. Please give your preferred dates of study at the Library. Finally, attach a brief C.V. with the names of two academic referees.